Friday, August 5, 2011

Health Bars or Cookies???

I get tired of paying between $2-3 for various 'bars' at the grocery store just so I can have a quick fix when I need it.  So I decided to make my own.  After reading too many labels to count I decided to keep it simple for a first try and I think these are pretty darn good.  Almonds, Medjool dates, coco powder, dried cherries and vanilla are it...super simple. You can use any dried fruit to make your own!






 
Almond Date Bars

15 Medjol dates, pitted
1 c. raw almonds
1/2 c. dried cherries
1/8 c. cocoa powder
2 t. vanilla extract

Place almonds in food processor and start by pulsing.  Run for a minute until finely chopped, not butter. Add the pitted dates, dried cherries, cocoa powder and vanilla extract.  Run the processor for approximately 3 minutes until chopped and blended well.
Line a 9' x 9' pan with parchment paper and pour the date mixture into the pan. Press down firmly. Cover with more parchment paper and place in refrigerator until cool. Pull entire square out of pan by edges of parchment paper and cut with a sharp knife into desired size bars.

I carry them around for a snack in those brown wax paper bags you can find at most stores.

 


2 comments:

  1. I would love to try this recipe, sounds delicious, but I'm not aware of where I can get dried cherries. I guess it's a health food store item, but I've never seen them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juliae! I find them at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's is less expensive. You could also substitute dried blueberries or other dried fruits for the cherries. -conni

    ReplyDelete